India's first Oscar winner and well-known costume designer Bhanu Athaiya has died at the age of 91. She was in bed for the last three years due to a brain tumor and died in her sleep on Thursday morning. Bhanu Athaiya was given the Oscar Award for designing the costume in the 1982 film Gandhi. The film was produced by British director Richard Attenborough.
Bhanu Athaiya, active in Indian cinema since the 50s, designed costumes for over 100 films. In addition to the Oscars, she has also received two National Awards. She last designed costumes in Aamir Khan's film Lagaan and Shah Rukh Khan's film Swades. In 2012, Bhanu Athaiya expressed his desire to return the Oscar trophy. She wanted the Oscar trophy to be kept in a safe place after her departure.
Then Bhanu Athaiya said in a conversation with the BBC, "The biggest question is the safety of the trophy, many awards have gone missing in India before. I have enjoyed the award for so many years, I want it to be safe even further." He had said, "I often go to the Oscars office, I see that many people have placed their trophies there. American costume designer Edith Head also had eight of her Oscar trophies placed at the Oscars office before she died."
She said that she thinks I will get the award." Other designers sitting at the 1983 Oscars ceremony were also saying that I would get the award. I asked how can you say it with such confidence? On this question, they replied to me that the scope of your film is so big that We can't compete with that. "
Bhanu is very talented she was also a Gold Medalist in painting and this was the reason that Richard Attenborough chose her in his film. Bhanu Athaiya believed that if his trophy is kept in the Oscars office, more people will be able to see it.

0 Comments